Wednesday 4 July 2012

The West End

Hey everyone,
One man, two guvnors theatre show
One of my friends Jarren who I had met on my Paddywagon tour of Ireland was back from travelling around Scotland and we decided we wanted to go to a theatre performance together in the West End. I had been dying to see something at the theatre ever since I got to London as I'd heard it was something not to be missed. There is nothing else like the West End theatre wise in the world besides Broadway in New York so I felt very lucky to be going along to a show with Jarren and Rachael.

Taylor my good friend from Contiki had recommended I go and see a show called One man, Two Guvnors at the theatre as it was only shown at the West End in London. There are so many shows that travel around the world but this one is based in London and has an all English cast which was pretty cool. The show had rave reviews and Jarren got us pretty good tickets so I was very excited!

The show went for around 2hours and 40minutes including time for an interval and I thought the show was amazing and so funny!The main actor was so witty and there was lots of audience participation which made the show very fun. The backdrops were amazing and they made the actors look like they were actually in another location. We had great seats and the actors looked like they were so close to us during the show. I didn't expect the stage to look small but apparently we were in a very old theatre. The actors were so talented and lots had them had been in loads of other theatre shows at the West End and had even acted on British TV and movies. I had tears in my eyes when we were cheering for the actors at the end of the show because it was that good! I recommend anyone wanting to go and see a show at the theatre to go and see this one! I feel so lucky to have the world of theatre at my fingertips and knowing that I can go and see a show any day of the week makes me excited to go and see another show very soon.

After the show we went and grabbed a coffee at a cafe and chatted about what we had been up to since we last saw each other. Jarren had ended up in a car accident in Scotland after his tour bus slammed into a cliff wall which was pretty crazy. He had ended up going to hospital to get checked out and hurt his ankle but nothing major which was lucky! I feel so lucky to have met so many beautiful friends along my travels and it was great to see Jarren again and experience the theatre for the first time with him and Rachael.

Here is a little bit of information about the show so you can get an idea of what it was about:

BEST NEW PLAY Critics’ Circle Award, Evening Standard Award

Richard Bean’s award-winning play is a glorious celebration of British comedy – a unique, laugh-out-loud mix of satire, songs, slapstick and glittering one-liners.

Fired from his skiffle band, Francis Henshall becomes minder to Roscoe Crabbe. But Roscoe is really Rachel, posing as her own dead brother – who’s been killed by her boyfriend Stanley Stubbers. Francis spots the chance of an extra meal ticket and takes a job with one Stanley Stubbers – but to prevent discovery, he must keep his two guvnors apart. Simple.
REVIEWS:
5 STARS Daily Express, Daily Mail, Guardian, Independent, Sunday Express, Sunday Times, The Sun
‘An evening of riotous delight... I found myself physically incapable with laughter.' Daily Telegraph
‘A triumph of visual and verbal comedy. One of the funniest productions in the National's history.' Guardian
‘Slapstick, satire and gags galore: a classic comedy hilariously updated.' The Times
One Man, Two Guvnors, one massive hit.' Independent
‘An instant National Theatre hit. Terrifically bouncy and often howlingly funny.' Independent on Sunday
‘Packed with brilliantly original lines. ‘A surefire hit.' Evening Standard
‘Sheer, joyous pandemonium. The moments of slapstick are so perfect, they're choreographically beautiful as well as funny.' Sunday Times
‘The single funniest production I've ever seen.'  Mark Lawson, BBC Radio 4

Me all ready for the theatre

Jarren and I having coffee after the theatre
Love The Theatre Loving Backpacker
x

No comments:

Post a Comment